CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

26.2

Ok, so to be honest, I started running because of pride/envy/jealousy. A neighbor had signed up for a half marathon with a group of her friends. They were all about 10 years older than me and were not as active as I was at the time. I thought (to myself) that if they could do it, why couldn't I? I know how bad that sounds...it was a starting point though. I soon got addicted to running!!

I started training two years ago for the Disney World Princess half marathon (2010) and finished it! Afterwards, I was so depressed that it was over, so I signed up for a few more halves! I eventually decided to tackle a full marathon and what better place to do it?? DISNEY!!
I used the Hal Higdon training program on Training Peaks and only missed a few days due to illness and two torn tendons (cast still on...dr appt tomorrow). I felt pretty confident as the 26.2 mile race approached.

  • The first 10 miles were pretty easy. I had a good pace plus, they were passing out 500 mg of Tylenol at a medical tent...whoot whoot!
  • Eric was at mile 12.5 waiting for me...it was so nice to see him and get some support! Apparently, the kids were still sleeping! PUNKS!!
  • At mile 19, there was a GROSS, dead opossum in the middle of the road. I totally almost stepped right in it!
  • Mile 20 and beyond were the longest miles I've ever run in my life!! People were dropping like flies! Even though I wanted to quit so bad...the pain, the exhaustion were UNBELIEVABLE, I knew I would finish. I continued to do mental checks on myself to make sure I wasn't going to collapse.
  • About mile 25, I was dying!! I had cried 5-6 times over the last few miles and I was pushing so hard, but then there was this woman along the sideline. She looked down at my bib to see my name and said, "Come on Brina, you know you can do it!". That was THE BEST EVER!! She was the first person to correctly pronounce my name all day! It was exactly what I needed to hear to finish the last mile. I cried a little harder, but PUSHED through.
NOTHING will ever feel as good as crossing the finish line and seeing my family! I started crying and I wasn't sure when or how I would stop. I grabbed the chain link fence and just held on. I still can't comprehend or even wrap my head around the fact that I DID IT!! The 26.2 miles humbled me...it was an incredible distance that I really don't want to do again! I love 13.1 miles...that is a perfect challenge for me (thank you very much). I love my medal and it was an awesome feeling to have it placed around MY neck. I would still be wearing it if I didn't think people would stare and laugh at me :)
I got a present from Eric when we got to the car. I told Eric to not get me anything because I didn't want to jinx myself!! However, I LOVE my charm!! I'll post the whole ensemble when it's on a necklace!!
As for my time...I had to wait in line for a port-a-potty four times and I stopped to take pictures with characters...but my final (official) time was 5:51. My Garmin said 5:33...it pauses when I stopped at the bathroom and to take a picture. It also said I ran 26.62 miles instead of 26.2. Anyway...I did it!!!

I. DID. IT.



Additions and updates: 
  • At about four hours in, all you could hear were running feet...it was really quiet.  Some feet were pounding harder than others...but mostly silence.  All of a sudden, this dude shouts out, "Whoooo Hooooo I just lost a pound!  That's 3500 calories, right??!!?  I rock!!"  I was cracking up!
  • The "Wedding Singer" band playing a very cheesy version of "Come On Eileen".  Also at about mile 24 there was a band or DJ playing "Sweet Caroline".  I was singing with a little guy running to my right...BA BA BAAAA and the other part...SO GOOD!  SO GOOD!  SO GOOD!  SO GOOD!
  • There were these two guys dressed up like flamingos.  I kept pace with them for almost the whole race and then I think they fell behind me (they kept stopping to take more pictures).  Anyway, they were hysterical!  Like the above, it would be really quiet, in-between characters etc and all of a sudden, they would shout out funny things or just yell, "wooooooo hooooooo".  They were really fun and made the race a blast!  Will post if I find any pictures of them.
  • Too much TMI?? Quit reading now!  I'm currently having MAJOR butt muscle spasms!!

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You rock. YOU ROCK! You rock!!! Never forget that feeling. You rock!